Unarguably, child custody is the most important issue in any divorce. Children are a couple’s most significant asset whether they realize it or not. Studies have shown that children do much better when both parents are active in their lives. Unfortunately, the process of divorce and broken relationships tend to blur the line of priorities.
With ill feelings towards one another, parents can find themselves engaged in harmful child custody disputes that can end in tragedy.
The statistics speak for themselves:
· According to the United States Department of Health and Human Services, 63 percent of youth suicides are among children from fatherless homes.
· The USDHS also reports that 71 percent of pregnant teenagers come from fatherless homes.
· An astounding 90 percent of all runaway or homeless children come from fatherless homes.
· According to the United States Department of Justice, 70 percent of juveniles in state-operated institutions come from fatherless homes.
· The Center For Disease Control reports that 85 percent of all children from fatherless homes exhibit behavioral disorders.
The risks don’t end with absent fathers. Both parents are equally important. According to several reports, even when a child has one parent in his or her life, their odds of living a successful life are diminished.
· According to the Journal of Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, in a study of 146 adolescent friends of 26 adolescent suicide victims, teenagers living in single-parent homes are more likely to commit suicide and to suffer from psychological disorders then their counterparts who reside in intact homes.
· The USDHS determined through a National Center for Health Statistics Survey that fatherless children are at dramatically greater risk of suicide.
· “Three out of four teenage suicides occur in households where a parent has been absent,” according to author Jean Beth Eshtain of “Family Matters: The Plight of America’s Children.”
Handling child custody and divorce appropriately is necessary for your child’s future outlook. The bad news is child custody disputes can be very costly for both parties involved. There are resources available to help lower the burden of that cost. Some experts offer child custody strategy packages that contains more than 1,200 pages of vital information to assist with you dispute.
By utilizing a resource such as this, you can save money and take a lot of confusion out of child custody. A package typically costs less than $100, which is far less than the attorney fees one might rack up without it.
Remember, children love both of their parents. Moreover, to prevent a child from having a relationship with either parent is child abuse and potentially deadly.